Reflections on art and leadership

I use my art to reflect an artist and a senior manager in the financial services industry. I notice that the deeper I understand myself the more I succeed to impact others; in both art and work.

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Giving away artworks, more smalldrawings

Working on the last preparations for my exposition Pathway to Abstraction, and the opening is getting closer... Thursday 20 december 6-8 PM at Agora Gallery, 530 West 25TH Street.
One of the promotional events is that I made smalldrawings in businesscard size.
This idea I had some years ago from artist and friend Carlos Quiterio. We even organised an exposition of around 35 artists each making their unique miniature artwork- business cards.
Positive aspects:
- people get to pick out their own drawing
- it proves they keep it longer, even after years telling me the still keep it at a nice place
- it is good to practice in small shapes. Expression is more free as you don't risk to ruin a large masterpiece, and it therefore helps exploring new ideas
- it helps building a vocabulary of shapes and colors, and
- the first drawings we make are often still quite safe, even sometimes cliche, and after many drawings you really get to the more interesting and authentic compositions.

Of course also negative sides:
- waste an artwork on people that might not be interested
- losing some of the drawings that are close to you.
In both cases I still feel this giving away of artworks fits with my essence in art; it s basically about sharing and giving, and this is just an explicit expression of that.

So, for the people visiting this Thursday, below some new designs that you can pick from. The first 30 visitors get one for free. Hope you like what you see.
Enjoy...












No comments:

Post a Comment