|Feel the fish|
I worked on exploring parchment as a material for art, actually creating a few nice and very personal art works.
But although the art works were nice a series would not really take off.
End of 2014 brought some new reflections:
- I should seek the next art series close to who I am; close to my strongest way to express. In my case this means working sketchy and very quick, without thinking
- Use the experience of the hundreds of small drawings I have made during the years. They have brought me a more direct way of expressing without a fear of ruining the art work.
- Find a way to combine beauty and pity.
I like the way Nabokov used beauty and pity to describe art.
Pure beauty will just lead to design. Something that will please and sell.
Pity connects it to reality, to my core and to my feeling.
- using nice oil colours to obtain the beautiful sketched image and add layers of depth
- using black (shades and drippings) to express the feeling that come to me through the painting.
It took some time to refine the technique with oil, but getting more and more happy with the results.
Here you find the two first paintings, but more are to follow.
I like the concept of beauty and pity as it also represents an approach to personal life, and even work if you like.
Our primary focus is often on direct results, ethics, rewards. when striving for those elements we risk losing our authentic self, our connection with our natural role; short term benefits overrule subconsciously our true values.
More to come