Reflections on art and leadership

I use my art to reflect an artist and a senior manager in the financial services industry. I notice that the deeper I understand myself the more I succeed to impact others; in both art and work.

Monday, October 15, 2012

Mona Lena - disappointment helping the artist

This weekend spent some time working on this new art work.
Initially I made the first layer in a park in Paris, together with two other paintings.
I loved the basic shapes and was looking forward to work more on it.
Now, the park closed around 10 and we had to leave before it was actually all dry.
When getting home I was disappointed; the surface of this painting got stuck to the other painting, and when trying to make it wet and detach it from the other paper, it turned out to be damaged; removing the upper layer of the paper from some parts.

Fragment showing
damaged part after
adding decoration
Last weeks I had worked on the other 2 paintings, and left this one aside. It gave me time to heal from the hurt caused by the damaging of the painting. Also I have had multiple experiences now where some destructive element in the work actually becomes an inspirational part and forces me to explore now things. So, basically I waited for that to happen.

This weekend I had some time, in between enjoying our newborn child, and I put the painting in front of me for some time. Then indeed at some point I thought of what to do with it; I thought the white part could work as part of a more strong white structure. So I started off and got quite excited, while working in a flow detailing the art work and adding the white layer.

In the end I am quite happy with the result. And I am quite sure I would have never found this great composition hadn't the art work been damaged in the first place.

Conclusion, although not supported by a scientific analysis:
disappointments can help the artist, especially in pushing boundaries and finding new ways to express himself.

So, guess I will go looking now for the next disappointment :)

No comments:

Post a Comment